Nicola E Sheridan
1. Tell me about your book Magical Creations and where you got your inspiration for it?
Magical Creations is the second in my Magic series, the third is due for publication in November. I was inspired to write Magical Creations, after I finished my first novel, and felt that the character of Omar really desperately needed a happy ending. So I decided to write one. The Magic Series are based on Genies... sexy genies. A bit of a different take on paranormal romance.
2. Where do you gain your inspiration/ideas from in general?
I love imagining how mythical and magical creatures would fit into modern life. Where would they work? How would they live? All my books are based around those kinds of ideas, but frankly anything inspires me to write, I also have a rather bad habit of googling male models as inspiration for heroes... yep, it’s research not a dirty habit (or so I keep telling myself).
3. Was there ever a time when you nearly gave up on becoming an author?
Yes, I had a dreadful review from a manuscript appraisal agency, quite frankly it was mean. So I decided not to bother writing to be published, and ended up writing “Magical Gains” for fun, which eventually became my first published book. A couple of friends read it and suggested I try and approach a publisher. Instead, I entered a few competitions, so see how it would go and it was awarded “Highly Commended Best First Book” in the IP Picks 09 awards. After that, I had the confidence to pursue publishing again... and the rest is history.
4. What advice would you give to someone still trying to become an author?
Enter competitions to test the waters, any feed back you get will be invaluable.
5. Is there anything that annoys you connected to writing or being a writer?
I am constantly told “You don’t look like a paranormal romance author!” and what exactly should I look like?!
6. If you could hang out with one of your characters, what would you do together?
I’d probably like to hang out with Lucian (hero from Magical Redemption)... what would I like to do with him? Ummm. Nothing I could write here!
7. As an author, who and what do you recommend reading?
I’m totally in love with Kresley Cole’s Immortals after Dark heroes, and absolutely adore Alexander McCall Smith’s “Number One Ladies Detective Agency.”
8. If there was a fictional zombie apocalypse, which fictional character would you choose to be your wing man?
I would simply have to choose Captain Becker from Primeval. He’s always got a gun in his hand, and keeps a cool head when weird monsters attack... and then there’s the added bonus he is unutterably gorgeous.
9. If you could be a superhero what kind of super powers would you have?
I would be able to speak to animals... and find out what the heck is going on with my cat.
10. Where would you like to go if you had a time machine?
I would go back to the Pleistocene (anywhere between 16, 000 - 48, 000 years ago) so I could check out some mega fauna, that would be pretty cool.
11. What’s your favourite thing to do on a Sunday?
Kick back and get some writing done!
12. If McDonalds sold hotdogs, could you order a McWeiner and ask them to supersize it with a straight face?
Definitely not! I quite merrily confess I have a rather rude sense of humour.
13. If you were offered a free ticket to anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I’d go to Istanbul, to see the history and eat the food. Yum.
Omar is a ‘masterless’ Genie and freedom has given him an Achilles heel no enemy can miss. When desperation drives him to search for services of a Nephilim – with the ability to see, touch and take souls - Omar finds the sassy Antigone Watson who is running from demons of her own.
With magic a commodity to be governed, sold and stolen just like any other, the Magical Mafia are always on the look-out for new talent and soon the hunt is on. Together, Omar and Antigone realize that weakness of the flesh can be remedied by strength from the soul and true love can be born of dreams…
Find Nicole E Sheridan: